What started as a way for companies to further educate their employees, online education has now become a booming industry. When entire degree programs were first introduced they weren’t taken very seriously, but with intense accreditation, online college degrees are now accepted as legitimate. Here are some interesting trends in the expanding field of online education.
- More accepted – Now that intense accreditation procedures weed out inferior institutions an online degree is widely accepted throughout the world. More traditional universities are now expanding to include online courses and degrees.
- Older students – The online student demographics are trending to include more older or non-traditional students than before. Adults that have already completed many credit hours are seeing the value of a continued online education.
- Higher GPA’s – These online students also tend to have higher GPA’s than ever before. This shows that people seek on online education because they want to learn opposed to those students who feel an obligation to higher education.
- More minorities – The trend of online education is appealing to more females and other minority groups. People who live in areas without easy access to traditional colleges are taking advantage of programs and degrees available online.
- Required by employers – Many companies are now requiring their employees to obtain continued education and find online programs the best way to implement it. Providing online training to their remote locations and affiliates, it’s easier to keep everyone on the same page.
- Advances in technology – Technological advancement is another interesting trend making it easier for online education to expand and innovate. As the technology improves learning becomes easier and more efficient which contributes to growing enrollment.
- Lower cost – As more and more colleges compete for online students tuition costs are trending lower. Plus online students around the world have access to educational tools that used to be exclusive to more expensive institutions.
- Worldwide access – Online education has the ability to reach students in remote rural areas around the world. People in poverty stricken areas now have opportunities for higher education never before possible.
- Niche programs – People who want access to niche areas of study no longer need to travel to the few places offering expertise in that industry. It’s interesting how this helps level the playing field for individuals and companies worldwide.
- Used by governments – Many governments of undeveloped countries are seeing the value of online education for their citizens. They can keep their best and brightest within their borders instead of exporting them to developed countries.
The expanding field of online education is growing quickly and shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. As technology and access continue to improve more and more people are turning to their computers for their continued education instead of the more traditional institutions. Go on the internet and see what online education opportunities are available for you.