When we see things on a daily basis it is easy to grow insensitive to the dangers that they can pose to human life. It never hurts to be reminded of the many liquids in your home that can be potentially lethal if they are consumed.
- Bleach – This very common household cleaner has more than just a strong smell, it could be quite lethal if you were to drink it. And today, they have even managed to create bottles of liquid bleach that smell nice too. That could make it even more dangerous, since it would make a child more likely to drink it. Make sure you keep it out of the reach of children.
- Ammonia – This is another common household cleaner. It is often found in glass cleaners and other general purpose cleaners. This is another chemical with a strong odor and bad consequences for those who would inject it.
- Lighter Fluid – Not as many homes have this item anymore, but it used to be very common when people used it to fill their cigarette lighters. Now it is mostly used for lighting bar-BQ grilles. Never underestimate the tolerance of a child. Children have been known to drink some terrible things, and this one could be deadly.
- Paint Thinner – Keep the cover tightly sealed on your cans of paint thinner and keep them out of sight and out of reach. The fumes alone can be dangerous from this. Drinking it could definitely endanger your life.
- Anit-Freeze – This liquid can come in some pretty colors that could attract small children to it. Make sure it is also kept out of sight and out of reach. And don’t underestimate a child’s creativity in finding ways to reach what they want. That’s the reason for keeping dangerous items out of sight, as well as reach.
- Weed Killer – If it can kill plants, it just makes sense that ingesting enough of this toxin would kill a human being too.
- Drain Cleaner – This is one of the most caustic substances in your house. Drinking this would be like drinking acid. It would quickly destroy your esophagus and stomach. It would be a very miserable way to end your life.
- Gasoline – It might take a bit to finally kill you, but I wouldn’t suggest trying to find out how much is too much. It also is quite flammable, so beware of smoking cigarettes and drinking this fluid, at the same time. Actually, this liquid can kill you without being consumed, it can also cause death by burning you from the outside. Handle it carefully.
- Kerosene – This is another fuel that is highly flammable, just like gasoline. Often it is used in lamps in a home and has been ingested more frequently than you might realize. This is another item to keep safely out of reach of children and away from open flames.
- Alcoholic Beverages – You may be surprised to see something on the list that is generally considered a normal consumable liquid, which they are. However, if too much alcohol is consumed in too short of time, it can be lethal. ‘Chugging’ contests, and other means of consuming alcoholic beverages quickly, have been the cause of many young deaths. If alcoholic beverages are consumed in your home, be sure to consume them in appropriate moderation and teach your children those practices as well.
With this list fresh in your mind, it might be a good time to take a quick survey of your home and garage. Make sure that all your dangerous liquids are stored safely.